Who we are
NIC.br is the executive arm of the CGI.br. Its mission involves certain rights and obligations, which include:
- registering and maintaining <.br> domain names, as well as allocating Autonomous System Numbers (ASN) and IPv4 or IPv6 addresses in the country through Registro.br;
- handling and responding to computer security incidents involving networks connected to the Brazilian Internet, activities to be carried out by CERT.br;
- projects that support and improve the network infrastructure in the country, such as the direct interconnection between networks (PTT.br) and the distribution of the Brazilian Official Time (NTP.br). These projects are the responsibility of CEPTRO.br;
- producing and publishing indicators, statistics and strategic information on the development of the Internet in Brazil, under the responsibility of CETIC.br;
- promoting studies and recommending procedures, regulations, and technical and operational standards that will improve network and Internet service security, as well as ensure its increased and adequate use by society, as established by the W3C.br;
- providing technical and operational support to LACNIC, the Latin America and Caribbean Network Information Centre.
The members of NIC.br
At present, the NIC.br is currently composed of four Centres, four councils, and also hosts W3C Brazil office.
The entities responsible for the administration of NIC.br are:
- The General Assembly
The General Assembly is composed of the founding members, both special and honorary, and is the supreme authority with powers to deliberate, having the final say on any matters concerning NIC.br.
- The Administrative Board
The Administrative Board is the body which administrates NIC.br and is composed of seven members: three from the government, chosen by the General Assembly among Government members, and their respective substitutes, and four from the private sector, and their respective substitutes, as appointed by the CGI.br.
Representatives chosen by the General Assembly among Government members at NIC.br
- Maximiliano Martinhão, post holder;
Miriam Wimmer, standby post holder
- Luiz Fernando Martins Castro, post holder;
Artur Coimbra de Oliveira, standby post holder;
- Luiz Antônio De Souza Cordeiro, post holder;
Takaharu Uchino, standby post holder.
Representatives elected by the General Assembly from the Civil Society
- Percival Henriques De Souza Neto, post holder;
Thiago Tavares Nunes de Oliveira, standby post holder;
- Flávio Rech Wagner, post holder;
Marcos Dantas Loureiro, standby post holder;
- Eduardo Fumes Parajo, post holder;
Eduardo Levy Cardoso Moreira, standby post holder;
- Henrique Faulhaber, post holder;
José Luiz Ribeiro, standby post holder.
Term of Office: 27 March 2015 to 26 March 2017
- The Audit Committee
The Audit Committee is responsible for the fiscal and financial auditing of NIC.br. It is comprised of 3 incumbent members.
- Ernesto Costa de Paula
- Nivaldo Cleto
- Omar Kaminski
- Alexandre Annenberg Netto
- Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville
- Vitor Hugo das Dores Freitas
Term of Office – 10 June 2013 to 9 June 2015
- The Executive Board
The Executive Board is the company institution responsible for the executive administration of NIC.br, and is responsible for the compliance with the legislation currently in force, the By-Laws, the Internal Regulations and the resolutions of the Administrative Board.
- Demi Getschko, Chairperson
- Ricardo Narchi , Managing and Finance Director
- Frederico Augusto de Carvalho Neves, Services and Technology Director
- Milton Kaoru Kashiwakura, Special Projects and Development Director
- Hartmut Richard Glaser, Consulting Director for CGI.br activities
Periodically, the directors join the Administrative Board of NIC.br to report on the status of internal operations.
NIC.br Organization Chart
Due to its constitution, NIC.br cannot be separated from the CGI.br. Therefore, its structure is as follows:
- Registro.br – Registry of ".br" domains.
- CERT.br – Brazilian Computer Emergency Response Team
- Cetic.br – Centre of Studies on Information and Communication Technologies
- Ceptro.br – Centre of Study and Research in Network Technology and Operations.
- Ceweb.br - Web Technology Study Centre
- IX.br - Brazil Internet Exchange
- W3C Brazil – The Brazilian office of the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium).
Have some additional information about each Centre.
Check out the CGI.br structure.